Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Whatsoever Gift You Have...use it to the glory of God

I have often been discouraged by my lack of abilities in many areas. Why can't I be affective for God in a certain area? Can I not learn to have new gifts? Why is it that I want the gifts that God has given others. I certainly do not have the gift of patience or meekness, and I have wanted a quiet spirit for years now. Reading this post from LeAnn Rice really struck me. Maybe I am not supposed to have those gifts. OK...I should have patience, meekness and a quiet spirit-so I will keep trying to work on those. But maybe God did not design me to have to gift of ministry or comfort to the elderly. God created me to be me, and He gives me the ability to be me every day. My strength, stamina and energy comes from one source-THE LORD. May this article encourage my friends today as well.

From LeAnn Rice:

“Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:10 (NIV)

Five years ago I took a spiritual gifts test and failed! Well, in my mind, I failed.

I had high hopes that the test would confirm that I have the spiritual gift of wisdom, discernment, evangelism or mercy. You know…a good, useful gift. A change-the-world kind of gift. I was crushed to discover that I do not possess any of what I perceived as “good” gifts.

Since I was sure I knew myself better than this silly test, I took it again. I ended up taking the spiritual gifts test five times! Sadly, each one confirmed that I was stuck with the frivolous gift of hospitality. Seriously? I wanted to be a wise sage and soul-winning evangelist, not a hostess!

Shortly after my testing marathon I read today’s key verse. Reading it a second time, my eyes lingered over the words “whatever gift.” It doesn’t say, “Only those with the gift of leadership or evangelism go and serve.” As I pondered this verse I realized that as a body of Christians we could not accomplish nearly as much if we all had the same gifts. I embraced my gift of hospitality and God showed me He could use my ability to create a fancy meal or decorate a beautiful table to make others feel special. I can administer God’s grace through what I thought was fluff!

What gift(s) has God given you? If you haven’t yet determined your spiritual gift(s), spend some time thinking about what you do well, what hidden talent you may have, and what you have a passion for. Ask your friends what they think your talents are.

Then ask God how you can use these gifts to share His grace with others. If you are a musician, consider playing at a local retirement center or soup kitchen. If you love to scrapbook, consider organizing memories for someone who is unable to do so. If you have great computer skills, consider helping women at a shelter put together resumes or teach computer skills to help them secure a job.

I have learned that my “frivolous” gift of hospitality is not so frivolous after all. Extending hospitality, simple or extravagant, is a tangible way to share God’s love and His grace with family, friends, co-workers, and strangers. My prayer is that every day God will provide me with new opportunities to use the gifts He has bestowed upon me for His kingdom and for His glory.

2 comments:

  1. My everyday prayer is also to have a meek and quiet spirit. A book that as help me a lot is A women after God's own heart from Elisabeth George. I love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My everyday prayer is also to have a meek and quiet spirit. A book that as help me a lot is A women after God's own heart from Elisabeth George. I love this book!

    ReplyDelete